Hello dear readers,
Happy midweek! It’s halfway to Friday. Trust the week has been productive so far and most importantly you’re taking care of your health.
Now for today’s topic and I know quite a number of you might want to jump and pass hehehehe
Especially you, reading right now, yes you……I see you……
Well, we’re all familiar with this topic one way or the other, more so with the fact that water takes a major share of all our bodies’ processes and components; about 70%. But it’s still very difficult to drink it in its pure form without any additives, beverages (juice, tea, carbonated drinks, etc.) seem to be the most appealing alternatives and those who manage to gulp down some water (H20) consider it as a great feat.
The recommended amount of water to be taken daily is about 6-8 glasses or at least 2 liters of water which is also dependent on your location and tolerance of water; I know you might be screaming from wherever you are, like 2 liters? But come to think of it, if our bodies run on about 70% of water then you see that that amount isn’t so much after all?
Drinking water at a stretch can seem like a herculean task but there are a variety of ways to schedule this important habit that can make it enjoyable and easy to remember in case one of your reasons for not drinking is forgetfulness but if your reason is because water is tasteless and you love sweet things, our health police will be at your doorstep in the next 5 minutes…
I don’t want to bore you with the benefits of water which you’re quite familiar with. Such as:
1. it helps eliminate toxins and harmful waste products from the body trough sweat, urine and other channels.
2. Helps transport nutrients and immune cells to where they are needed.
3) helps lubricate our joints and so many other benefits,
let’s go right into how we can make water-drinking fun. Excited right?
Incorporating water into your schedule:
Now know this is not a standard and you can alternate it depending on what works for you, but the goal is meeting the daily water requirement….
- Take two glasses of water early in the morning to greet your kidneys.
- Take two glasses of water at breakfast or just before lunch.
- Two glasses of water when you get back home from work and if you work from home this could be in the evening.
- Finally, two glasses 30 minutes or an hour before bedtime
There you have it, water routine for the day done and dusted and you’ll have your kidneys and whole body thank you. Don’t forget you can rearrange this suggested schedule to fit your own preferences.
Now over to the more fun part…how to “tush” water drinking
- You can get yourself a fancy water bottle that’s portable and helps remind you (500mls, 750mls, 1000mls…)
- Consider setting a reminder on your phone attaching ‘time to drink water’ to it or have a sticky note pasted in your workspace with that reminder.
- Get a water-drinking bestie, I’m sure you wouldn’t want to stay healthy alone, its more reassuring when you know you’re in it with someone else.
- Try adding slices of cucumber, lemon and cinnamon to your water, it gives it some refreshing taste and also adds value to your body in the process (cucumber and lemon are good antioxidants)
- Eat fruits that are filled with water like watermelons, cucumbers, lettuce, tomatoes and many more.
Water-drinking can be totally fun and rewarding, you too can start today. Do you need a partner in this? Don’t worry I’d be more than glad to join you, just imagine me patting you on your back and cheering you on.
HCI healthcare is committed to your optimum health and we’re ever ready to attend to your questions and concerns, make sure to reach out.
Enjoy the rest of your week.
Rebecca Adeleke-Adesanmi, BSc. Nur., MA, Healthcare Mgt.
Health & Wellness Advocate,
HCI Healthcare HMO